Saturday, July 24, 2021

Singing for your Supper

      Actually, I can't sing a note, but I am a fearless public speaker.  I've found if I offer to do a program at a library or writers' conference I will sell far more books than just passively sitting at a table to sign, trying as hard as I can to will people to stop at my booth. With this in mind, I offer two talks: Adventures in E-publishing and Writing the Historical Novel free to any place that will have me within reasonable driving distance. I've addressed crowded rooms at both libraries and conferences and sold many books afterwards because I've had a chance to connect with my audience, give them good information while also being entertaining. I used to throw foam footballs into the audience to publicize my sports romances, the Sinners series, but my arm isn't what it used to be. I also make myself available to local book clubs if they want to discuss one of my books, my favorite being Queen of the Mardi Gras Ball. I usually have Mardi Gras throws to give away--scooped up from the streets during parades.

     Does this always pay off? No. But if you've agreed to come and sent out your press release to the local paper or library newsletter, you'd better show up. I was scheduled to address a book club after they had their regular meeting featuring another writer's book. The library had set out refreshments, but it was five before they ended. Every last book clubber went home to dinner. I was left with the three library employees assigned to close up the building once I was through. We ended up having a nice conversation  and enjoyed the refreshments, but it was a long two hour drive back to my place with no sales. On the other hand, I once drove another two hours through terrible weather to a small town to speak to another club and expected no one to show. I entered a meeting room with an entire pot luck dinner set up and a lively group happy to have me. I swear everyone there purchased a book, one woman buying A Trashy Affair and claiming it had to be about her in-laws. I was also offered a room for the night if I didn't want to drive back in the same torrential downpour. Now that's a warm welcome.

     Sometimes, the timing is just off like having anything scheduled near a meal time. At a writer's conference, the person preceding me on the stage ran overtime by a good twenty minutes. By the time I got up to the mic, the aroma of the luncheon was drifting through the room.  After fifteen minutes, people starting taking their pre-meal restroom break. After another fifteen minutes, I was told, sorry, the caterers were ready to serve, truncating my talk by half a hour. Only good that came of it was receiving first place in the lunch line. Zero books sold as after lunch everyone went into small group sessions which lasted until four when awards were given out, no time for the many authors attending to sell their wares at all. I was given a nice gift basket for my very short effort and ate some of the goodies on yet another long drive home.

      My smallest audience ever consisted of one person, a teenage girl who aspired to be a writer. Her parents sat in the rear of the near empty room talking quietly with each other. Instead of giving my talk, I just sat down one on one with the girl and let her ask me questions about publishing. When we finished, the embarrassed librarian who had asked me to come took our picture for the newsletter. I showed the girl how to stand up straight and smile into the camera no matter what the circumstances. Then, she left with her parents who did not buy a book, but the librarian purchased two, a pity sale, no doubt, though she claimed it wasn't. She had invited me because she loved my stories. Well, maybe, but that's all right. I do accept pity sales graciously.

     So, you never know what you will get when you set out on the road, two dozen sales or none. Regardless, if you commit, you show up, give it your all, and smile for the newsletter picture.

2 comments:

  1. I have to say that I admire your great attitude and perserverence! I found that I can talk to groups, which was something that came late to me,(although I forced myself earlier in life.) I would have been livid about being cut into my time at the beginning and the end. I have been to writers' conferences and bookfairs and I really love meeting many authors, but I hate my limited budget and how I really have to disappoint so many in sales. Actually, I hate it so much so that I have not gone many. I am not sure that I could do it for my own.
    Godspeed,Carla!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tonette. As my mother said I have the gift of gab which is a lucky thing for an author. I enjoy going to conferences, but there are fewer each year and this past year due to Covid, none. I rarely go out of state anymore because of the expense and heck, just the hassle at my age. I do miss them.

    ReplyDelete