Thursday, May 20, 2021

Outdoor Events--Be Prepared

      As I said last month, slowly things are returning to normal which means outdoor book fairs are coming back. I've been at this for some time now, and at each event I find dozens of new authors who arrive unprepared. Indoor events usually provide a table and chair. Outdoor venues sell or designate a place on the sidewalk. All the schlepping is up to you. I boldly double park to unload if I can't get closer to my spot than a more distant lot. At the minimum, bring a table(s) and a chair or two and your boxes of books. Have a light-weight folding dolly. It's a challenge to haul books any distance.

   And for heavens sake, check the weather report! If lucky, you might be stationed in a pavilion or a tent with shade and shelter for you and your books from foul weather, but not very often. My family gifted me with a basic blue tarp supposedly capable of being set up by one person---think a tall, mechanically-inclined person. I am not tall enough to push it up. Luckily, my husband is. He usually comes along to do just that. That small tent has saved me and my books more than once, but I admit, I would be wiped out in a bad storm--which did happen to me once, and I lost several books to the rain, couldn't get the wet tarp down and into the car without the kindness of strangers, etc.  That disaster also taught me to pack all the merchandise into plastic boxes and not put out stacks of books, but just one copy each. As they sell, I replace them. Usually, they are displayed on book racks or book stands which all have to be lugged, but it is the most efficient method I've found.

     As for decorations, how much more do you want to carry? Some use tablecloths which I only do if required (read all requirements carefully-some do ask for tablecloths). Others invest in large banners that have to be set up and don't fare well on a windy day. Flowers look nice but vases fall over. I only did this once for my Roses series, a lovely selection of yellow roses. Toward the end, I gave the roses away in order not to have to transport them home. This also tempted no one to buy a book, though the public is always looking for freebies. Never once has swag sold a book as far as I can tell. As for myself, I only pick up pens and nail files which are useful. I do hand out postcards with the book cover on one side and the blurb and order information on the other along with a list of my other titles and how to reach me for further events. These are useful for readers who might order an e-book later, though I've never noticed a rush of Amazon sales, maybe one or two at most. Postcards can be had cheap from Vista Print and other online outlets, but they do blow away in the wind. Have something to hold them down. The rest of my decor is minimal.  I use handfuls of Mardi Gras beads, small foam footballs and crushed beer cans that fit into the crannies of my book boxes. Even these can cause problems as toddlers tend to get handsy and can take down an entire display with one quick grab as you try to sell their mothers on romance.

     Remember to bring change. For ease of transactions, I simply make all my titles $15 and have lot of fives on hand. I also take take checks and have never had one bounce because readers are good folks. It is possible to pay for a credit card app if you are so inclined, but I don't bother. Often they don't work well. Those more conversant with technology probably know of other ways. Next, offer a bag.  No extra expense required. I use colorful bags I've collected in my travels or even the standard, can't get rid of them, plastic grocery bags. I do have some slightly racy covers which some won't want to carry exposed, but bags are also good for foul weather sales to folks who take refuge under your tent.

     For your own survival, ask if any food will be easily available. My husband departs after the tent goes up. Usually, I am there alone. Take a friend if you can, but often you sit outdoors for hours, if lucky stationed close enough to meet authors to the right and left for company and to watch your table if you need a bathroom break. Bathrooms can be some distance away. Ask where they are upon arrival. Some venues offer you bottles of water, some nothing. The best have an author's lounge where you can refresh yourself and get a snack. Usually, I carry a small cooler with drinks, a sandwich, some fruit, and cookies to get through the day. Also, for me, a thermos of hot tea is essential because sometimes when there is no foot traffic, I can have a cup of tea and read someone else's book to pass the time.

     There, I think I have covered it all, but will take questions if I've let anything out, or if you'd like to share ideas. Be prepared for anything as the scouts would say.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent advice, although I can never see myself doing this.Not that I wouldn't want to ; I have enjoyed meeting many authors this way andbeing introduced to their work.We just don't have them here, except for an occassional couple of local writers at the library, but I have read those people's works and well, no, and let's let that lie in public.
    I just don't have the stamina and bathrooms better be nearby for me.
    That aside, it is rather amazing how a little prep for any situation can alleviate a lot of problems later. I htink people get overly optimistic and enthusiastic.
    It's good of you to offer your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no shame in asking for a place near a restroom or under an awning. Age hath its privileges. I will also ask for help in toting heavy boxes if my husband can't help. But really, when your first book comes out you can't wait to share it with others and make all kinds of investments in swag and banners--and forget about your own needs. Many of these events require you to be there from nine until three or four o'clock. It does take stamina to sit on your butt all day outdoors. But, I do enjoy meeting both readers and other authors. Thanks for commenting, Tonette.

    ReplyDelete