Saturday, March 13, 2010

What I Gave Up for Lent

Blogging is like standing in a dark closet talking to myself. That said, I can always depend on my FB buddies for lots of feedback. When I mentioned giving up buying books for Lent-Oh, the horror expressed! Need I say most of my FB friends are writers and bookaholics just like me? Some took this vow to mean I would not be reading books for the duration-but, no. That would totally impossible for me. Jesus would never ask for that kind of sacrifice either. Like many others, I think of Heaven as a huge library full of books I haven't read and friends to discuss them with. I simply meant I would read from the four stacks of books I had already purchased or borrow from the library. A huge auto repair bill, the laptop I bought my husband for Christmas, and several large medical bills helped me make this decision.

Anyhow, I got off to a rough start. On the second day of Lent, Tracy Chevalier's Remarkable Creatures showed up in the mail, a book purchased with my book club credits plus postage. Then, my husband, feeling bad for me, gifted me with This Book is Overdue!, a tribute to librarians. At my writers' group, a friend, Sylvia Rochester, had copies of her new title, DaVinci's Lost Years, for sale. You gotta buy a friend's book, right?

I did better as Lent dragged along-until Fantasy in Death by J.D. Robb showed up having been pre-ordered back in January. I felt I redeemed myself at a recent writers' conference where I bought no books and probably made no friends because of it. I read a book I'd considered purchasing but got from the library instead. Didn't care for it. Glad I saved the money. Now, if only a Barnes and Nobel gift certificate wasn't burning a hole in my purse. When is Easter?

2 comments:

  1. Lynn?? I was racking my brain, then I saw your lovely picture. What a treat to find you this way via a Google alert. A librarian giving up books for lent? Now that's really sacrificing. I do hope you'll enjoy Da Vinci's Lost Years and will give me feedback when you finish. So far, I've received wonderful comments. Can't wait to read your new book.
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sylvia,
    Nice to know someone found this blog. I haven't gotten to DaVinci's Lost Years yet, but I will. It sounds so intriguing. I'm not doing so well on my vow. A pre-ordered Nora Roberts showed up yesterday, but yours is the only book I actually purchased during Lent. My two Google alerts were Lynn adjusting my web page and you. Yes, I am star.

    ReplyDelete