Monday, April 19, 2021

Back to Normal--Sort Of

      I received my first Covid shot (Pfizer) in January before going for hip surgery. The hospital staff was efficiency personified, and I was in and out in half an hour. I did worry about getting my second shot when I was put into the PT rehab place. They had no Pfizer on hand, but did transport me back to the hospital for my second shot--no side effects at all. So, I was fully immunized by the time I returned home. Masks were required in regular PT, no problem for me. If I can do thirty lunges and the same amount of step-ups while in pain and wear one, you should be wearing one, too.

     I revised two manuscripts written before the surgery and sent them off to my two publishers. Both said they were way behind as everyone seemed to take up writing with nothing else to do. First time in a long time that my manuscripts have been put on a wait list, but at least the process has begun for the Bad Boy Sinner and Lion in the Heather.  

    The Art Guild, currently not meeting, got in touch asking me to take two paintings to show at the library and two at the Greek restaurant in town. I selected Night in the Forest and Luna Moth for the library and a still life of fruit and a red amaryllis for the Greeks. Since I couldn't drive or reach too high, my dear husband who had gotten his Moderna shots came along and hung them for me. It was lunch time when we finished. I looked around and saw people dining at well-spaced tables and a staff with facemasks worn properly. We had gotten take-out during the long months of seclusion from Olympus, and I thought, why not? We ordered chicken schwarma pasta and a gyro sandwich.  The salads were crisp, the food and pita warm, and my Lebanese iced tea delicious. Wonderful to eat in a restaurant again. Two weeks later, we tried a new Mexican place in town. The food and service was great--but I do wish someone would tell the entire staff that facemasks should cover the nose as well as the mouth. Still, we had a table well-spaced, and they made my husband a habanero pepper sauce blended by hand. Another enjoyable meal.

     Then, local arts and crafts shows began to revive. I took only my books to sell and sat outside on a lovely day so warm I got a little sunburn on the back of my neck. I always sell well at this event at an historic home, but did better than usual.. It seemed everyone wanted to be outside on a fine day and spend money after a year cooped up. The Literary Festival followed a couple of weeks later on a rainy, dreary day. I huddled in my little tent drinking hot tea from my thermos, reading, and eating a cookie. No sales at all until the sun came out around noon, A good friend stopped by and bought Lady Flora's Rescue, the first book in my new historical series. Looked like it would be my only sale and not even cover the cost of the space. The event ended at three p.m., and here it was two o'clock. Suddenly, sales picked up. I sold more than ever at this event. Ran out of one title, Lady Flora again, and all my Mardi Gras books, perhaps because Mardi Gras had been cancelled and people wanted to celebrate vicariously. This weekend, I have another Arts and Crafts festival. Of course, rain is predicted again. If possible, I will take some small pieces of art with me as well as books. I'd really like to see if this trend will continue considering that I sold only four books, all to the library, in past year. I have to say my e-books sold as usual. But my 2020 taxes will show I lost about $400 in income on paperbacks that are best hand sold.

     Regardless, I am thrilled to be almost back to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment